Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 09:09:09 PST
On Wed, 17 Nov 1993, John Arnfield <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
> I run a list (CLIMLIST) for people working in climatology and related
> disciplines.  It is moderated and only the list owner (me) can send to the
> list.  CLIMLIST is run from LISTSERV@PSUVM (aka [log in to unmask]).
> I distribute to it by email from Ohio State (magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu).
>
> I was very surprised on Monday when an item was distributed to the
> list which I had not sent.  It was a copy of last week's Digest and the
> 'Original sender' warning identified the sender as a CLIMLIST
> subscriber in Manitoba who had elected to receive the list in Digest form.

> My questions (after this long-winded preamble) are as follows.
> (1)  Why might the mail have been sent back to CLIMLIST@PSUVM?

This "reposting" has happened to me, too, on a moderated list.

Some mail-agents support a 'bounce' command, which sends the E-mail to any
address.  For example, here's the headers of one such message,
which I sent from my account on SOL.UVIC.CA to my account on UVVM.UVIC.CA
(I've "anonymized" [sic] some of the fields):