John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:41:04 -0500
> John Lyon replied:
>
> > With the Confirm option. e.g.
> > Send= Private,Confirm
> > or
> > Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm
> >
> > Set notebooks Private and Review=Owners to thwart address harvesting.
>

> [log in to unmask] replied:
>
> > push for the wide adoption of SPF (see http://spf.pobox.com)
>

> Janice Frasche replied:
>
> > Up until now, using the confirm mode was the usual built-in preventative
> > option for spoofing.
> > http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/owner/owner.html#2.12.6
>

> Pete Weiss replied:
>
> > Recently on a staff list that I own here, I have implemented
> >
> > Send= Private,Confirm
>

> As a result, my list configuration now reads:
>
> > Notebook= Yes,.../archive/***,Weekly,Private
> [...]
> > Send= Private,Editor,Hold,Confirm

This is not a correct setting. Private and Editor are conflicting options.
You need either:
Send= Private,Confirm
or
Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm

> > Moderator= ALL,owner1,owner2,owner3
> > Editor= owner1,owner2,owner3,(LISTNAME)
>

> This meets two of my goals.
>
> * Subscribers not set to REVIEW have to confirm their own posts.
> * Subscribers set to REVIEW require Moderator confirmation to post.
>
> To meet the remaining goal
>
> * Non-subscriber posts are held for review by Moderators instead
>   of being rejected.
>
> would require removing "Private" from "Send=", correct?  Because the list
> probably receives more spam attempts than non-subscriber post attempts (I
> don't have recent data because the list has been set to "Send= Private" for
> years), I think I'll leave "Private" in place.

Using Send= Private    rejects all non-subscribers posts. Send= Editor
sends all non-subscribers posts to the moderator for approval, unless
NoPost is a Default-Option. Due to all the spam these days, many Owners
are shying away from Send=Editor and using other options.