Wendy Plotkin <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 May 1994 09:49:06 CDT
My co-moderator has had difficulty differentiating between messages sent
to her FROM the list we moderate (H-Urban) and messages sent TO her as
the moderator TO BE DISTRIBUTED to the list.  Occasionally, she receives
a message with a header as shown below, that looks as if it has been
distributed to the list, when it has in fact not been distributed:

>From: david sucher <[log in to unmask]>
>To: H-URBAN Urban History discussion list
>Cc: Multiple recipients of list H-URBAN
>Subject: Inhabited Bridges: Further Info. Sought

Did the sender of the note type in the "To" and the "CC: to make them
look the same way as they appear when they are distributed to the list?

Or did the sender's mailer in some way mimic this information?

If only messages received by my co-moderator were distributed to the list,
this would less of a problem.  However, occasionally I and a third
co-moderator distribute messages directly to the list using our
"EDITOR" privilege, and my co-moderator is not sure if a message of
the above type is a message from one of us or from a subscriber.

I advised her to check the logs as the most accurate source of what
has been sent out, and she successfully identified the above note has
something that had not been sent to the list.  Still, I am puzzled as
to why messages such as these appear as if they have been sent to the
list.

Wendy Plotkin
Wendy Plotkin                   Contact Info:
H-Urban Co-Moderator/H-Net      Dept. Phone: (312) 996-3141
History Department (M/C 198)    Fax: (312) 996-6377
U of Illinois - Chicago         Internet: [log in to unmask]
SEO - Rm. 723                   Bitnet: U20566@uicvm
851 S. Morgan St
Chicago, IL 60607-7049