"Stephen C. Nill, J.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 05:15:57 -0800
Deborah Cresswell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I looked at the list owners manual for setting a list timer.
>
>E.g. I require a posting to go out at 20:00est, I am on GMT time.
>
>>From looking at the PRIME parameter, it seems to tell me that I can only
>set the timer for when I don't want postings to go out.
>
>E.g. PRIME= "MON-FRI 09:00-17:00"
>
>This is the time that I do not want listserv to post.....so, how can I
>set the timer to get the posting to go out at 20:00 exactly?
>
>I am a new list owner and do not fully understand the owner manual
>surrounding this area.

        Deborah,

        I think you DO understand.  Earlier in this thread, when I suggested the
simple solution of using the message-timing feature of any good email
client (Eudora for example), or if it's a message created with the
cooperation of the listowner, using the Probe feature, I was corrected.
Instead, some indicated that by using the "Prime= Yes" parameter, one could
compel a posting to issue at any given time according to the time specified.

        This seemed reasonable but then I reviewed the manual once again yesterday
and was surprised to learn that the "Prime= Yes" parameter does not work
that way.  Instead, it stops operation of Listserv during the PRIMETIME for
the machine -- a time when it is likely to be performing backups, for
instance.

        Trying to connect the dots, I reasoned that one could define PRIMETIME as
all hour except the appointed hour when the message is to go out.  This,
however, would have the obvious practical effect of shutting down Listserv
for 23 hours.  It seems to me, then, that the advice to use PRIMETIME is
wrong, or at least immensely impractical.

        So I ask those who have offered this solution to correct me if I have
misunderstood the PRIMETIME recommendation.  Otherwise, sending a message
at Midnight or any other time should simply be done with a good email
client or possibly using the Probe to carry the message.  If midnight is
the time, I suggest changing the timing of the sending out of digests from
midnight to some other time, so that Listserv will not delay sending out
the midnight posting in question for even a few seconds or minutes.  And if
the list is an edited list, I'd enter the sender of that message as an
"Editor=" parameter in the list headers, so that it will bypass "moderation."

        Please correct me if I am wrong, folks.  I'm learning too.

Stephen C. Nill, J.D.
30021 Tomas Street, Suite 300
Rancho Santa Margarita, California  92688  USA
(949) 589-4318
Fax:  (949) 589-4399

Web site:  http://CharityChannel.com

For information about our Internet discussion forums,
visit http://CharityChannel.com/Forums