Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 23:33:35 -0700
Eric Thomas wrote:

> How EXACTLY  do you propose for  LISTSERV to take care  of processing all
> the bounces for  you if at the  same time you don't want  to let LISTSERV
> process them? If  you meant silently throwing them away  and ignoring the
> problem, that is not a realistic option.

Of course it isn't.  I have obviously expressed myself badly, and apologize
for thus creating this misapprehension.  (One of THOSE days, alas.)

Rather than go into tedious lengths to attempt to explain the basis of my
question, and then have to apologize for THAT, let me rephrase:

Do you need to have AUTO-DELETE= YES for the PROBE option to be available?
The manual as quoted by Mr Parker was not definitive on this particular
point, although it SUGGESTS the answer is no.

If you can have PROBE= YES (or whatever the syntax) and AUTO-DELETE= NO, I
can present a good case to my fellow listowners for taking advantage of this
excellent new feature when our site upgrades.  Otherwise, they will simply
remind me of the time when I was one of the listowners autodeleted the last
time.  Hence my question.

>   Eric

Mario Rups (who wrote the original question in a brief lull in the storm,
     literally, while the sump pump WAS able to keep up with the water
     coming into the basement sump well, and thus was / am not really
     feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed; on the other hand, perhaps
     Disraeli was right: Never apologize, never explain.  <grin>)