Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:24:39 -0700
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:04:38 -0000, James Chamier <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Yes, it looks like HotMail is in fact broken. A lot of list owners are
>complaining that their HotMail subscribers are getting mail. I believe it
>was Ben from L-Soft, who wrote earlier that the problem is at HotMail.

Yes, something is badly broken at hotmail.com.  An announcement was posted
earlier today.  Hotmail has been notified but is being very slow to respond,
so any complaining users should send their complaints to *all* of these
addresses:

Briefly, there are 2 problems.  One is misdirected mail.  i.e.
[log in to unmask] is subscribed to [log in to unmask] but gets
messages for [log in to unmask]  LISTSERV/LSMTP is NOT sending
the message to Fred.  LISTSERV is sending only one message to [log in to unmask]
(who is subscribed to [log in to unmask] and should get that
mail).  Judy gets it, and so does Fred.  Fred should not of course and this is
the screwup.  But our servers only sent the one message to Judy.  Hotmail
receives the message and *then* the screwup happens.  Hotmail (not L-Soft) are
responsible for mis-directing the message to Fred.  Of course Fred blames us
for sending him tbi-working mail he didn't ask for and Judy wonders why she is
getting mail for EASE-HOME (to which she is not subscribed) ...  Everybody is
mad at us.

Second problem is some (not all) messages are received multiple times.  I can
prove with certainty that we only delivered one copy of said message and that
the dupes are internally generated at hotmail.

Further investigation shows that for problem 1 to occur, you must be
subscribed to at least one list on the relevant server.  If you are subscribed
to no lists, then you will get no mis-directed mail.  Problem 2 (dupe msgs)
only seems to occur if you also have problem 1.

 Ben Parker . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . L-Soft international Inc.
 [log in to unmask]  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Support Engineer