Jim Milles <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Jul 1993 10:04:00 CST
> I'm sure people out there must post newspaper articles to your lists
> routinely. Or maybe not. :-) But what to do? Can we do it? Who's watching?
> Where's the big brother? Should I add at the top of such things "Reproduced
> here without permission" ?

Chuck,

A lot of discussion list and newsgroups do the sort of thing you
are proposing--and they are clearly, unequivocally in violation
of copyright.  "Reproduced without permission" does nothing, any
more than stamping "Stolen" on any piece of stolen property would
protect the thief.

You are going about this the right way by asking for permission.
You should continue to do so.  Why not simply post bibliographic
references for the sources that you do not have permission to
duplicate?  That's perfectly legitimate to do.

There's a lot of nonsense about copyright circulated on the
Internet.  Just because violating copyright is (1) technically
easy to do and (2) may not be found out is no justification for
it.

Jim Milles
Head of Computer Services
Saint Louis University Law Library