Sylvie McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:37:44 -0700
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Song Weaver wrote in part:

>         If AOL had something automated so that every time an account were
> deactivated, it automatically sent the command:
>         SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE
> to a local LISTSERV address.  This would solve at least a portion of the
> problems.

David (O'Donnell),

Is it possible that this could be made to work?

I don't see AOL subscribers making an inordinate mess on my lists - at
least no more than the students at end of terms, etc...but as you have
pointed out, AOL is a *big* system that does tend to be marketed to a part
of the population that is often new to the net and perhaps not quite so
savvy on the lists (no offense, my mom is a very happy AOL camper!)

This kind of automatic routine would help with subscribers that you are
terminating or who have developed full mailboxes - and it would certainly
be a wake-up call for the latter!

Also, are your quotas fixed or flex? On eskimo, we have a fixed limit, but
a quota that can be exceeded short-term. When the latter occurs, we get
screen banners until we clear the excess, and we can lose stored data if
we don't get on it. We don't bounce, however, until we actually hit the
fixed *limit* which is a bit higher.

Hope these are not hopelessly naive comments....Take care,

Sylvie McGee
seattle wa