Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:40:20 -0400
You might be interested in my recent experiences as the
postmaster/administrator of a decommissioned e-mail system.  Though this
host still exists and can still receive e-mail, the users have moved onto
other systems.  We don't support a mailer.

1) many users never unsubscribed from automation processes including those
on LISTSERV(R), ListProc, MAJORDOMO, MAISER, and a variety of WEB-enabled
subscription services.  Thee most frustrating were the last three -- often
they did not self-identify themselves and trying to find a method of
unsubscribing users aka SPOOFING became problematic.  ListProc too was
somewhat frustrating (even if the process was called ListProc@ (not always
the case)) since I am unaware of a reserved system administrator userid of
POSTMASTER, MAINT, etc.

2) user-to-user (nickname) too was frustrating -- somehow it became a
herculean effort to get folks to stop e-mailing the host

3) finally, because we have a university-support PH server, many entries
continue to reference the old location (but what is the proper new
location? <rhetorical>)
Some users had been notified for more than a year that their multiple
forwarding was causing a problem e.g., [log in to unmask] -> [log in to unmask]
-> [log in to unmask]  These folks are now not receiving their mail.
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA