"John F. Witherspoon" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:38:21 -0500
At 12:00 AM 2/15/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Date:    Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:51:20 -0500
>From:    Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Function of Reply-to
>
>I set up our list with Reply-To=List,Respect. I know this is the default,
>and I really don't understand the description of what the possible
>settings are!
>
>We have found that in Eudora, we cannot reply to an individual. The
>replies are always directed to the list. Besides being a pain, I think
>this is confusing to many people and they end up sending private posts to
>the list that they didn't intend. No matter how we set up Eudora, this
>doesn't change, so I assume it is from how I set up the header.
>
>What would be the correct Reply-To setting to permit people to reply
>*either* to an individual or the list?

In Eudora, you must cut and paste the name of the recipient you want to send
to. The * Reply to setting can be set to either LIST or SENDER, depending on
your preference.  If you set it to LIST,RESPECT or SENDER,RESPECT, the list
will honor the replier's wishes, regardless of the header's default setting.

Following is a sample DIGEST-H header similar to one that gets put in front
of all my digests; I have found it works wonderfully to prod even the most
clueless posters to the list.

            ********* SHOtimes-L DIGEST REMINDER *********

If you reply to a message you read in the SHOtimes-L digest, please change
the subject of your response message to that of the message to which you're
replying.  Otherwise, your reply will have the subject "SHOTIMES-L Digest."

Also, if you duplicate the wording, spacing, and capitalization as they
appear in the subject line of the message to which you're replying,
subsequent digest contents listings will be more compact and easier to read
because the Listserv software will group like subjects together.  Thanks!