Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 01:03:42 -0400
Eric Thomas wrote:
> Note that LISTSERV on the unix machine uses the same format as on VM. So,
> as far as LISTSERV is concerned, you can FTP the files directly.

This is great (as far as moving all the archives is concerned).
It's sort of problematic in terms of dealing with them in a mail program
like Pine on UNIX, downloading to Eudora, or running them through a HTML
converter though.  So far I've found all of those want archives to be in
UNIX format, or they will only deal with them as a single
long file, rather than as separate pieces of mail.

We do have a conversion program on the IBM that will do the necessary
change in formatting to make all the UNIX-based programs read the
archives as individual pieces of mail. But it would be easier and less
expensive to do the conversions needed over on the UNIX machine.

Seems like this must be a common problem, and there must be a
number of versions of a UNIX-based UNIX conversion program out there, but
I'm not sure what to look for.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric -- Any plans to have the UNIX Listservs offer an option of
UNIX format to people ordering list archives?

Thanks for your help.

Vickie Banks
EDTECH Owner
H-NET Technical Assistance