Paula Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:30:56 -0500
As a follow up to my previous message asking about X-Tags, these are my
more specific questions.

The only reference I could find to an explanation of the X-Tags in the
manual is:

X-Tags= Comment | Yes | No

Indicates whether "X-To:" and "X-cc:" tags are to be included in the
output mail files to list recipients of the original mail file (other
than the list userid) or not, and how they should appear in the RFC822
header.

Yes: This information must be provided in the form of "X-To:"
and "X-cc:" tags in the RFC822 header (similar to the "To:" and "cc:"
tags). This is the default.

Comment: This information must be provided
in the form of "Comment:" tags, i.e. "Comment: X-To:" and "Comment:
X-cc:".

No: This information must not appear at all in the mail header.

Questions:

1) First paragraph of above. What are the "output mail files to list
recipients of the original mail file"? Does this mean the messages that
go out from listserv to the list recipients? If so, does that mean that
the X-tags would be included in the message that is archived or not?

2) What does "not included" mean?  Does it mean that listserv removes
these lines from the message header?  That's what it sounds like until I
read "must not appear at all" which sounds like listserv would not
process messages with these tags in the header.

3) The list header has two values for X-tags - Yes Yes.  Is one for the
X-To and the other for the X-cc?

4) In general, what is the purpose of these settings?

I'm reluctant to test without understanding these setting better and
would greatly appreciate any help.

Paula Ford