"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:55:11 -0800
Situation:

My SUBSCRIPTION=BY OWNER list sometimes receives subscription requests
from people who intend to spam the subscribers.  I would like to inspect
the mail headers of people seeking to subscribe before approving their
subscriptions so that I can make an educated guess about where such
requests are coming from.

Background:

When LISTSERV receives a subscription request, it generates a completely
new mail message based on the requestor's e-mail address and name and
sends that new message to the list owners for confirmation, specially
formatted with "// job" and "// eoj" so that it is possible to reply or
forward the message back to LISTSERV for quick approval.

Problem:

Because LISTSERV generates a completetly new message, this throws away any
RFC822 message-routing header information present in the original
requestor's message.

Questions:

1. Is there any way LISTSERV can be directed to forward or include the
original subscription request's headers to the list owners?

2. If there is no way, will LSOFT please consider this a feature request
for a future version?

Please let me know if this question was unclear.

Thanks,