Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:46:32 -0500
Pauline Marshall wrote:

>That is great, except when you run into a situation like I have with a
>spare account of mine.  My address is [log in to unmask]  If you mail that
>address, it will get to me.  HOWEVER, listserv insists on subscribing me
>as [log in to unmask]  If, I were to request to subscribe, and you
>were to mail me at the shorter address, it would get thru, and I would
>respond.....you would subscribe me, and I would be in a possition where I
>couldn't change my own options, or even mail the list if it is set to send
>= private, and would have to whine to you to change every option when I
>wanted them changed.  This is what I want to avoid, with a confirm.  With
>a confirm, it would force me to use the @conman.zoned.net address to
>subscirbe with, and things would be happy and joyful.
>
>See where this could cause problems....especially with moronic users?

Much of this can be circumvented by the idea that I, as a list-owner, wish
to have some contact with the people who wish to be on my list before I
subscribe them.  This contact tells me exactly what their e-mail address
looks like, and it seems to be no different to how LISTSERV seems to view
that address.

My method of requiring a dialogue between me and my future subscribers
before I add them allows this to occur with little difficulty, but if your
list has a lot of turnover, and a lot of subscribers, it may be more
effort to you than it is worth.  As it is with my list, this is not an
issue at all due to a small number of subscribers, relatively speaking,
and thus little effort on my part to maintain this method.

YMMV.

Glenn