Bret Hilton - Academy of Management <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:43:34 -0500
Hi Kevin,

I, too, have struggled with the appropriate Send keyword combinations. It seems
odd to me to use both the Private and NonMember keywords at the same time.

So, just to clarify, are you saying that the "Default-Options= Review" and
"Send= Private, NonMember" combination will cause postings from subscribers to
be moderated and postings from non-subscribers to have to be confirmed before
being moderated?

Thanks for your help,

Bret

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Kevin Parris
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LSTOWN-L] Neither "Send= editor" nor "Send= Private"...

First, update your list header to include

   Default-Options= Review

or add REVIEW to the entry if you already have a Default-Options keyword
present, so any new subscribers will acquire that attribute automatically.

Then, send your server this command

   quiet set listname review for *@*

(substituting your listname) and confirm as prompted.  The wildcard syntax will
apply the attribute to every subscriber at once.

Then update your list header to Send=Private and that should take care of your
situation.

Alternatively, you can add the NonMember option to your existing Send keyword
values, so that any messages from non-subscribers won't reach you for moderation
until after the sender responds to a confirm request (and hardly any spam ever
does that).

My list is currently configured "Send= editor,  hold,  confirm". Since I receive
massive spam waiting for moderation recently,  I would like to prevent
non-subscribers to post from now  on.  BUT posts of subscribers should still be
moderated (so that a simple "Send= Private" is not appropriate). AND I cannot
afford to  set all approx 1.000 subscribers to REVIEW manually...

What can I do? I appreciate your help. And please forgive me  if this problem
has been covered already recently.

Philip Schulte, Berlin, Germany
Owner: HYPNOSE-L, SYSTEM-L