"Spencer M. Anspach" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 11:48:58 EWT
[Sorry about joining the discussion late--I'm not a subscriber to this
list, but I often search the archives.  Please CC: replies to me
personally (or send directly).  I will also keep an eye on the
archives.  Thanks.]

Last week "A. Ralph Papakhian" <PAPAKHI@IUBVM> inquired about a
subscriber remaining on the Daily error monitoring report despite
surpassing the threshhold for number of error messages (coincidentally
the address being monitored had also greatly exceeded the time
threshhold as well).  In that particular case, the subscriber wasn't
on the list under the form of address given on the report and the
advice given was to delete the subscriber manually under the address
actually subscribed.

I am having the same problem in spades (as the saying goes).  I have
multiple subscribers who have exceeded both the count threshhold *and*
the time threshhold, yet are still on the report (i.e. still
subscribed).  In my case, however, the address subscribed matches the
address on the report (although I don't think this has anything to do
with the problem).

Is anyone else having similar problems?  If I delete these subscribers
manually (which I could do, but then what is the point of getting the
report, except to filter out the error messages and compile the list in
a neat form once a day?), will they still appear?  In both Ralph's
case and mine, doesn't the section which states

"Note: manually deleted subscribers may remain on the monitoring
report under an alias address. Such entries will expire eventually;
you do not need to do anything about them."

apply?  Just how long/how many errors is "eventually"?

In my case, I thought that perhaps changing the settings had upset
something (I changed the count threshhold), but once the time
threshhold had been exceeded (which I hadn't changed), I'm beginning
to wonder if these subscribers will *ever* be deleted.

Spencer M. Anspach
SLAJOB@IUBVM Listowner