Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:39:16 -0600
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Steve Howie wrote:
> A list owner has contacted us asking why he is receiving error
> monitoring reports for users who are not subscribed to his list.
>
> Do spammers  who try to post when they are not subscribers to the list
> get added to the monitoring list? The report shows that most of these
> users dont exist (which is likely true).

If the spammer is sent some sort of "you are not allowed to post to list
 ..." message, and that message, sent by LISTSERV for your list, then,
yes, the address of the spammer, to which the automatic message could not
be sent, will be added to the DEMR.

One of my lists gets lots of spam, and many singleton items in the DEMR.
I just ignore them, based on experience.  Just pay attention and you
can figure out which are which without much trouble.

I would suggest you concentrate on those errors with many reports, and
not try to second guess the auto-delete system unless you have to.
It is there to save work on the part of the listowner, not create it.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]