Elliott Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 08:07:04 EST
On Tue, 23 Feb 1993 12:39:55 EST Bert Bruner said:
>On Mon, 22 Feb 1993 02:34:52 -0600 Bruce Dienes said:
>
>If you really want to provide a mechanism to make anonymous postings in a
>particular situation, it  seems as though it would be  fairly easy to set
>up a server that  would replace the RFC822 headers with  its own and then
>send the mail on  to the list. Someone with a good  knowledge of Rexx, VM
>and, perhaps, the wakeup utility should be able to do it in a few hours.

A few weeks ago, I posted a copy of my first anonymous msg. to
a list.  This was mainly to solicit comment on what kind of policy
should be set, if any, and/or how to handle it.
   Anyway, the way I read the help file from the site in Finland,
he has two machines: one takes the header off incoming, assigns
a user id (anonxxxx) and sends it to the other machine to send out.
The recipient replies and it is sent to the author.
   This gets rid of the header and encryption should handle the
body.  However, as Eric and others pointed out, this still
leaves the intermediate sites where the msg. can be seen/traced.
And of course, there must be some trace left on those machines,
at least for a while.
   And no, please don't ask for my new policies on anonymous
postings.  :-) I did post a note to the list and there have been
no other anonymous posts, but there will be times when they are
warranted. My feeling, rather than "policy", is that it must
depend on the listowner and list subscribers.