Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:40:17 -0800
Pete wrote:
> Depending on GETPOST index numbers is an exercise of
> futility.  The LISTSERV(R) method of doing what you
> want is to use the File Archives feature.  See section
> 8 of the List Owner's Manual for starters.  That way
> users can issue
>
> GET SCOUTS-NL xxxxxxx
>
> commands (actually it can be in the more general form
> GET fn ft fl)

While I agree that Files Archives are the way to maintain list FAQs,
Daniel's idea has 3 advantages:
1) It does not take additionnal disk space since it's pointing to
already existing notebook (we all know that FAQ that are not posted
on-list have a very low "reading coefficient" :-) Furthermore the FAQ
reminder becoming very compact can be posted weekly or semi-weekly
wihtout much overhead ....

2) It simplifies the maintaining process for multiple FAQ maintainers.
Each person can be responsible for different sub-topics not necessarily
related ... And to update them, they only need to post a new meassage
rearding one of the sub-topic they are maintaining... and send the new
message number to the person posting the reminders. It eliminates the
need for each FAQ maintainer being responsible for a whole topical file
or the need to coordinate the updates if more than one people handle a
topic. I think it is simpler to change 01010 to 01012 than: getting the
file, finding the section, deleting it, pasting the new one and putting
the file back ...

3) The latest complete FAQ can be easily assembled from a serie of
GETPOST list n1 n2 ... nn
GETPOST list nx ny ... nz
And then be stored as File Archives if disk space allocation is
sufficient... I believe having more archives vs more Notebooks is a
trade off specific to each list.

As usual I have a few questions:

- Do the mail search jobs work with 1.8c VM ?
(If I remember correctly, Pete told me that "index" does not support
customization but I assumed that index and print would still work. If I
remember corrrectly, Web archives won't be available for a while on VM)

- Is there another way to get the post number with 1.8c VM ?

- Provided that I heavily use Search Jobs should I suggest to the
maintainer to get an upgrade ? (aside the probe feature ;-)

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L