"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:12:19 -0700
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Brent Black wrote:

> Netzero in all their wisdom has apparently decided to return all the
> email in a users mailbox to the original sender after 6 months of
> inactivity

This happened to me last week.  In the space of two minutes, 312 messages
from a NetZero user (who was set to NOMAIL NOPOST for at least a month)
was returned to my LISTSERV list owner's address (also reaching two
co-owners).  I telephoned NetZero and was on hold for over ten minutes
before I reached an operator who transferred me - not to the Postmaster I
wanted to speak with, but to their customer technical support phone line.
Anyway, after explaining the problem and being put on hold for another
five minutes, the telephone operator explained that I should forward my
complaint (yes, that means they are lying that nobody else has
comnplained) to their [log in to unmask] address, as nobody else was
prepared to deal with this complaint.

So what I did was to attach all 312 messages (approximately 1.4 MB of
text) as a MIME digest and forward them all with a politely worded
complaint message to [log in to unmask]

> I contacted the folks at Netzero to let them know about my feelings on
> this policy and was told there is nothing that can be done about it
> and that nobody else had complained.  Hmm.

Left hand <-> right hand problem at NetZero, perhaps?  I definitely
complained to them.