Andy Smith-Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:37:41 -0500
Winship wrote:
>  Andy Smith-Petersen wrote:
> > The subscriber needs to remove the original poster's email address
> > (or domain, or the domain of your Listserv machine) from their
> > Block List. In the GW client, it's in Tools/ Junk Mail Handling/
> > Block List. If they really don't want to see the mail, they can use
> > the "Junk List" instead, in which case the incoming mail is
> > accepted but moved to a junk folder.
>
>  Thank you.  Now help me to understand it.
>
>  If we are talking list mail the person can't know in advance the
>  original poster's address; with a 4,600+ list it could be anything.

They don't have to know the original poster's address in advance. Likely
at some point in the past, they got a piece of spam with a spoofed from:
address of [log in to unmask] and then added all of domain.com to their
block list.

>  For domain of the list, how would this explain that some GW
>  subscribers recieve everything (say 40 items per day), some receive
>  all but one or two (bounced back with the GW "unused" error), and
>  some receive maybe half the postings, with the rest bounced back with
>  the "unused"?
 >
 > I mean, how can the list domain be "blocked" some of the time, but not
>  at others?  Does it maybe depend on whether the user happens to be
>  looking at email at the time, or something of that sort?  How can a
>  user block for a domain work some times, but not others?

Based on these symptoms, I would say that it's some variation of the
original poster's address being blocked, not the address of the Listserv
machine. Since the OP's addresses vary, some posts are blocked and some
are not. If it were the Listserv domain, you would see UNUSED in
response to every post.

My advice to a subscriber having this kind of trouble is to either (a)
turn off the block list and try again, or, more often, its (b) review
the block list, taking note of the "count" of the number of times each
item has been  blocked. More often than not, the person has some
unwanted address or domain on that list, and didn't realize it. (Well, I
guess they're *all* unwanted, but you get what I mean...)

Andy

--
Andy Smith-Petersen
System Administrator