Sat, 4 Aug 2001 05:15:28 -0500
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In the 15 years or so that I have been working with Listserv, I have met
> only one person, me, at our installation who bothered to use filelists.
> Under Unix, I just don't miss that feature since Unix also makes it easy
> to install an Apache http server to house files of many sorts that can be
> accessible via the web.

Hmm.  Well, 15 years ago there weren't no "web" and I know lots of lists
and listowners which/who used to maintain large, active filelists.  The
"web" stuff is good, but so is the filelist for those who can't, or don't
wish to, use the "web" and I will not abandon it; it is too valuable.

You, also, are a site administrator, which I am not: I can't install a
new server of whatever description whenever I please, for this or that
function.

My "fossils" who remember FUI/AFD and packages tell me they would rather
those than the "web" stuff, had they a choice.   Douglas