Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 May 1998 18:03:08 +0200
Hello,

I scanned the online documentation at lsoft.com for ways to make my mail
delivery both faster and more reliable. I saw the distribute-algorithm and
the "show dpaths *"command for listserv, and I'd like to use the
"listserv-backbone"

The situation is this :
- I'm at the VUB University in Brussels, Belgium, within the domain vub.ac.be
- I'm subscribed to [log in to unmask] (among others)
- Brownvm always sends me the mail directly
- there's 1 listserv in Belgium mentioned in "show dpaths *"
(netvision.be), but that's not used to send me my mail, it's not part of
the backbone.
- there's also a server at listserv.surfnet.nl, which is a very good one.
I'd like to use it, but because it's in a different country, it's not used
either.

I know that there used to be a listserv installation in an another
university (at listserv.kuleuven.ac.be), that was used to distribute all
mail for listserv-subscribers in the kuleuven.ac.be and vub.ac.be domains
(and probably all other ac.be domains too). But it disappeared 6 months ago.

Now what do I have to do to make sure that all mails to vub.ac.be (and
probably all others in ac.be or maybe even in the whole be-domain) get
transferred thru the listserv-backbone ? Do we have to buy listserv-classic
or lite ? Can I install the free evaluation versions ? Or can I ask to
distribute all those mails thru listserv.surfnet.nl (I can ask permission,
that won't be a problem). At this moment, we're not interested into
transferring our own mailing lists in listserv (we're using home-grown
software), but this could be changed in the autumn, if we can find a good
way to interface listserv with our database.

---
Jo Hermans, System Administrator DINF, VUB University, Brussels
[log in to unmask]                http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo/

Error reading Winblows 98. (A)bort, (R)etry, (T)hink Different