Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Jul 1992 21:47:07 +0200
On Mon, 27 Jul 1992 07:23:22 PDT Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>"     The below is not unusual, but I still haven't figured out what
> site(s) is(are) gatewaying my Russia list to the bit.listserv.russia
> newsgroup, but I'd like to hunt them down because they're doing it
> without my permission and very much against my wishes (i.e., I don't
> want the Russia list gatewayed to *any* Usenet newsgroup, not even
> the rather funky bit.listserv.* hierarchy)."
>
>Clearly, there are people whom want to participate in the LISTSERV
>services, but lack connectivity, lack resources, lack private mail,
>or are concerned that someone is trying to map topics to specific
>individuals, for nefarious reasons.
>
>Insofar as 'permission', it seems to me you are a moderator, not an
>owner. The information is free.

There  is  a  FAQ  about  the  bit.* newsgroups  that  you  can  find  in
news.answers and bit.admin, if you had  taken the time to inform yourself
before spewing out  yet another bucket-full of  misinformation, you would
have seen  that the original poster's  request is fully in  line with the
policy of the bit.listserv.* newsgroups:  without the explicit consent of
the  list  owner,  there  is  no  gatewaying,  period.  Furthermore,  the
information  posted to  mailing lists  is certainly  not free  and public
unless the owner wants it to.

  Eric