Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:28:12 -0500
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Pete Weiss wrote:

>>"DD" is "Data Definition,  and is an artifact left over from the days
>>when listserv lived and ran only on IBMish mainframes.
>
>Any one who can quote from memory about the derivation of DDNAME is
>showing their age ;-)

W'all there are those of us who still work with DDNAMEs on IBM
mainframes every day...I know I do...I admit that only some remaining
legacy systems are running on our IBM system now but without those
legacy systems students would not be able to enroll and this
university would not be able to operate...

'Course I'm no young whippersnapper either; I would have had to look
up the specific words that the "DD" stood for in the manual, but I
certainly knew what it meant.

Dennis

(yet another of the dinosaurs on this list  <g> )