Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:16:14 -0400
> Currently this isn't  networked.  The problem is  that if you network it,
> you may  be looking at  hundreds (and, in a  year, possibly thousands) of
> redundant alerts. [...] A spoofed  subscription on the other hand doesn't
> cost all that much for the LISTSERV site, and if it takes you a few hours
> to cancel it, so what. The victim will be flooded with Majordomo mail for
> weeks to come anyway.

Yes, I agree with all that.  And, as you say it may not be a big problem in
the future anyway --  I just like  the idea of my  small site being able to
benefit from the wider view  the bigger servers   get :-).  If you were  to
include server-to-server notification  it probably should be something that
happened only occasionally, say along  with global list updates -- "LACTNET
has 1017 subscribers, QUICKDOC-L has  357, and  here  are the addresses  of
four schmucks subscribed to all my lists."

A super-low-tech way  to get the  netwide effect could  be simply to inform
the spoofee "you  can leave all  LISTSERV lists  at  once using 'SIGNOFF  *
(NETWIDE'".  One problem though would  be making that  message stand out in
the  garbage  filling his or   her mailbox --   it would need a provocative
subject  line ("How to sign  off these damned lists") or  maybe a cc to the
system's postmaster?  That latter *might* be seen as a blessing ...

Anyway, it does sound like a slick feature.

Norm
--
Monuments fall;  nations perish;  civilizations grow old and die out;  and,
after an era of darkness, new races build others. But in the world of books