Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Sep 1993 13:09:01 +0200
CREN, EARN and  L-Soft met yesterday in Copenhagen to  discuss the future
of BITNET and  what role L-Soft could  play in all this. Here  is a short
informal report,  which does not  necessarily represent EARN's  or CREN's
view, I'll spare you the disclaimer.

The  meeting was  mostly  an  exchange of  information  where each  party
described its future plans and tried to see how they could be made to fit
with  the others'.  As far  as L-Soft  was concerned,  this was  mostly a
presentation of L-Soft's strategic plans  followed by a discussion on the
future of LISTSERV; there were a number of closed sessions without L-Soft
during which I assume that other relevant items were discussed.

To answer the question on everyone's lips, CREN was understandably not in
a position to  make a decision regarding a  global LISTSERV/LMail license
without getting  back to the  board. This is  inevitable in spite  of the
severity of  the time  constraints both parties  are operating  under, so
L-Soft agreed not  to market the software to CREN  members until the next
board meeting on October  7. Note that this does not  mean we will refuse
to sell licenses to CREN members until  then; we will just not be mailing
marketing material  to CREN's  members until  the CREN  board has  made a
decision. In  addition, due to  the complexity  of the situation  and the
fact that  some current  LISTSERV users  may already  have plans  to drop
their VM system,  CREN will be conducting a survey  in order to determine
what kind  of license, if any,  would be most appropriate.  While I don't
know the details of  the survey, I imagine that it will  be sent at least
to the techrep  of each LISTSERV site.  So if your techrep  is the person
managing the payroll system and you think that LISTSERV is crucial enough
for CREN to be acquiring a global  license, you will want to make sure to
brief him as  soon as possible so  that he doesn't give  the wrong answer
due to lack  of information. Bear in  mind that, even if  charged back, a
volume license would be significantly  cheaper than an individual one. If
all  170 sites  were to  be licensed,  L-Soft would  grant 50%  of volume
discount, corresponding partly to  administrative, marketing and customer
support savings. If  the software has to be marketed  individually to the
members, it  is inevitable  that money  will take longer  to flow  in and
L-Soft  programmers will  end  up  having to  spend  some time  answering
questions  from prospective  customers, as  it is  not realistic  to hire
interim people and expect to be able to train them quickly enough. In the
long run L-Soft would collect more money due to the removal of the volume
discount, but the development of non-VM versions will be delayed.

Another major item  on the agenda was decreasing the  load of the current
core sites.  L-Soft confirmed  that DISTRIBUTE  and the  other peripheral
functions necessary to operate a  DISTRIBUTE server would be available in
the first stage (code name "Patchwork"), since they are presently written
entirely in PASCAL.  That is, the first non-VM version  should be able to
operate  a backbone  server,  and  new servers  could  then  be added  at
universities that do not have VM.  LISTSERV however only requires a small
amount  of  system  resources;  delivery  of the  message  to  the  final
recipients is what is expensive. After removing my L-Soft hat I described
a number of things that could be done to improve the situation and, while
neither  I nor  L-Soft  are likely  to  be  involved in  this  and I  can
obviously not speak for CREN, I  got the feeling that very concrete steps
are going  to be  envisioned in the  next few months.  CREN is  no longer
hoping that someone will find a "creative solution", but instead they are
going to work on a concrete list of proposals and ideas.

The  last  major item  was  the  future  of  mailing list  managers,  and
unfortunately this  did not  conclude as  positively as  the rest  of the
discussions. CREN  is under  intense pressure from  people with  a strong
following in the Internet community  to basically throw away LISTSERV and
start something from  scratch, in C and without NJE  support or any other
"stone age legacy".  While this was more or less  common knowledge (or at
least not a surprise), given the contents  of the RFP, I was not aware of
the seriousness of  the problem. It appears that high  level managers are
now  making  statements which  one  would  ordinarily expect  from  young
technical people who  think they know the answer to  every problem in the
world, such as "it  won't be useful unless it is written  in C", "if it's
written in PASCAL it can't possibly  be any good", "anything derived from
a mainframe-influenced design won't be useful to the Internet community",
and so on. As a computer professional I found this deeply depressing, but
of course it is  a serious business problem and it  needs to be addressed
as such. There  is no solution within L-Soft because  the only way L-Soft
could possibly  produce a  solution satisfying these  people would  be to
dump the current VM version and development plans, fire me, and hire unix
programmers to  develop a totally  new list  manager from scratch,  in C.
Apart from  the fact that  this would be like  asking Sun to  please dump
their current  offering no matter how  successful it is and  start making
PC's instead,  it simply doesn't  fly from the  business angle and  I can
think of hundreds of other companies more qualified for this type of work
than  L-Soft,  whose  name  has  probably  been  branded  as  a  dinosaur
derivative anyway.  So of course L-Soft  will continue to support  the VM
version and to develop VMS, unix and NT versions of LISTSERV according to
the plans  that were already published.  L-Soft works for the  users, who
ultimately are the ones that decide  what should or should not be bought.
While  there will  always  be  people arguing  to  their management  that
LISTSERV  should not  be used  because it  is written  in PASCAL,  we are
confident that proven quality will prevail over religious arguments.

None of this  solves the problem, unfortunately. I can  imagine that this
course of action is temping for CREN as this would undoubtedly secure the
continued membership of unix-oriented  members (including the non-bigoted
ones, which  would still  benefit from  the availability  of a  unix list
manager with more functionality and a much bigger development budget than
the  current free  packages). Relying  on L-Soft's  politically incorrect
plans to provide a unix version  of LISTSERV, however, would probably not
secure  anything as  the bigots  would drop  out in  retaliation and  the
situation would remain  unchanged for the non-bigots  (they might benefit
from L-Soft's unix development, but that is not tied to CREN membership).

I am confident, however, that a solution exists. The 170-odd members with
a  VM  system  would  receive  actual  benefits  from  a  continued  CREN
membership in the  event of a global LISTSERV/LMail  license. This should
be enough  for them to  renew their  CREN membership another  time, while
L-Soft proceeds  with its development  plans. The non-bigoted  unix sites
should consider the implications of having L-Soft and CREN compete on the
provision  of a  unix mailing  list  manager, with  L-Soft offering  full
compatibility on  4 major systems by  4Q95 and having the  advantage of a
proven, tried-out  interface and design.  If L-Soft delivers  before CREN
does, it seems unlikely that the  majority of unix sites would be willing
to wait for CREN's version just  for the satisfaction of not running evil
PASCAL code, and  CREN members will have funded  an expensive development
for nothing,  introducing more  end-user confusion on  the side.  If CREN
somehow manages to produce an equivalent  product in one year, there will
still be an L-Soft version coming out  within the next 6 months, with the
advantage of compatibility with the installed  user base and the level of
end-user supportiveness that comes from  listening to what users want the
product  to  do,   rather  than  focusing  on   making  technical  people
prematurely promoted to a management position happy. It will be a serious
fight and,  given a suitably low  entry-level price made possible  by the
use of inexpensive hardware, it  is quite likely that certain departments
will decide  to use L-Soft's  product on their  own while others  run the
politically approved version. Ultimately, the  end users are going to get
what they want to have, and whether we  like it or not we are living in a
world of  PC users who  are using the mail  programs they are  using, and
aren't  going to  switch just  because  they can't  conveniently use  the
politically correct list server with their current mail program.

At any  rate, this survey  would be the ideal  time to tell  CREN whether
your organization would  rather see it compete with  the current LISTSERV
or just stay in the background while  it is being developed. I cannot see
any business reason for  CREN to revive the RFP other than  as a means of
securing  continued income  from  a  certain category  of  members. If  a
majority  of CREN  members were  to  say that  their decisions  regarding
continued  membership  would not  be  affected,  or would  be  negatively
affected, by a decision to develop  a new unix list manager from scratch,
the problem will be solved.

  Eric