Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:56:08 -0400
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Martin Helin wrote:

> Hi colleagues,
>
> I just joined this list and apologize if this question has been covered
> recently (in which case I will start digging in the digest). I could not
> find an answer to it in the LISTSERV documentation either.
>
> Is there are a way to direct automatic out of office type of replies from
> list members (to the sender of a message) to the list owner(s), for example?
> I have been running two lists (now  using version 1.8d) for over 10 years
> but this is the first time annoyed users (= 2...) would like to get rid of
> the automatic vacation replies.
>
> Naturally something can be done on the member side (e-mail client) also but
> with over 2 000 list members I am very reluctant to start giving any advice
> on how to configure various e-mail clients so that automatic replies will
> not be sent to list (senders).

This has indeed been discussed quite a bit. The short answer is "no".
There's no way to automate the way Listserv handles vacation notices.
What I do is manually set such subscriptions to NOMAIL whenever I find
a subscribe has invoked a vacation notification feature.

If you're really curious, do search this list's archives for this
subject. You'll find quite a bit there, but it all boils down to what
I said in the previous paragraph.