Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Mar 1992 17:48:04 +0100
On Mon, 16  Mar 1992 23:47:52 PST  Malcolm Carlock <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>> I  frequently  have sub-minute  response  to/from  addresses in  North
>> America, and the access time to Europe isn't much less.
>
>Er..  Compare  this to  sub-second  response  via the  Internet  to/from
>addresses in Japan and Europe from the U.S.

Sub-second response  time for  mail? You've  got to  be kidding.  And who
cares if it takes  37 seconds or 0.37 seconds for your  mail to reach its
recipient? He  will need long minutes  to read and answer  anyway, not to
mention the time zones.

>At the risk of sounding flippant, I would strongly suggest you gain some
>before making further serious recommendations in this area.

At the risk of sounding flippant,  I would strongly suggest that you read
before flaming. He  said he pinged a  site. How do you ping  if you don't
have Internet access?

>> And  why  should  the  networks  be  'competing',  both  offer  unique
>> services, that  each institution must  balance prior to  committing to
>> one/other/both.
>
>If there's any real "competition" between  the two networks, it's due to
>the Internet offering the same sorts  of services as, and many more than
>BITNET,

You don't  seem to have much  knowledge about BITNET and  the services it
offers.  May I  suggest  that you  heed  your own  advice  and gain  some
experience before wasting everyone's time on a stupid, misinformed flame?
The reason  why BITNET still  exists, now that  it is (mostly)  being run
over  TCP/IP and  requires payment  of an  additional membership  fee and
purchase of additional NJE software, is  that it offers services that the
Internet doesn't provide. When I want to send a program to a colleague in
the US, I type a simple command  which takes half a second to execute and
the file  is on its  way. It  does not need  to be uuencoded,  split into
pieces  smaller than  50k,  reconstructed  at the  other  end, have  mail
headers  removed, be  uudecoded,  and so  on.  I do  not  need his  login
password to FTP it into his machine and, if a line is down, I do not need
to retry manually until I get it through, at 1kb/sec.

Now  may we  please get  back to  constructive, list-maintenance  related
debates. If you want to flame BITNET, there is always usenet.

  Eric