Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:48:08 EDT
17 april 1995 Ottawa

I think the requirement for individuals on a service like AOL or
COMPUSERVE to know how to manage a list before they start up one is
valid.

Possibly a couple of skill testing questions could be made part of an
online test prospects must pass to get listowner privileges.  If the
listowner just vanishes the answer is simple: no owner subscribed, list
dies.

Just do a broadcast to the list explaining why the list is dieing when
the subscriber leaves the service and do a delete *@* and issue
postmaster's commands to remove the list from the server.  Nice and
simple, can even keep a job template around to do it.

An auto responder could be set up to automatically explain to enquiries
to listname-request that the list died due to its sponsor cancelling
their subscription to AOL etc.

The unique list idea is not really an issue as I see it because someone
may choose to set up a list for their own uses e.g. the Imperial Order
of Water Buffaloes, lodge 1234 list and if someone else wants to set up
a competing list, that is free enterprise.  The listowners will probably
find people gravitate towards one of them eventually.

Food for thought.

Brian Lingard