Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Jul 1992 14:12:23 +0200
On Sun, 5 Jul 1992 19:34:00 -0500 John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>     I'd  be interested  in  knowing  of any  ListServ  sites that  have
>locally modified  their limit -- either  to increase or decrease  -- and
>their rationale for a change in either direction.

The limits are  definitely low for today's network  (they were introduced
many years ago when BITNET was still BSC-based) - at least when you think
about the  US and european  countries with  good IP connectivity.  On the
other hand, there are still many countries/sites with 9.6k BSC links, and
it may be  the best that they  can get/afford. So one can't  have a limit
which is perfect for everyone.  The defaults are probably appropriate for
a  "normal" LISTSERV  without any  file archive,  ie one  where the  only
things one might  want to GET are the standard  files (helpfiles, LDBASE,
etc)  and archived  list  postings. As  soon as  you  start offering  big
software packages,  it becomes  clear that  you need  to allow  more than
256k/day.

  Eric