Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:58:58 GMT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 07:50:01 -0500, Paul Allen Rice
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As a rather young list owner, i am wondering just how tolerant I should be
>with bounced mail for any reason.  How many bounces from my readers should
>I tolerate from a specific address before I axe them from the list.

A lot depends on the amount of traffic on your list, and what the reasons
for the bounces are.

Permanent errors (No such user, user unknown, account closed, no such
domain, etc) are not fixable and deserve more or less immediate deletion,
unless you know their ISP is flakey and this happens with regularity, in
which case you just have to ignore it.

Mailbox-full and other temporary errors deserve an immediate NOMAIL, a wait
of a few days, another attempt, etc.  NOMAIL is an intermediate step before
DELETE.

It's really your tolerance level for handling the error msgs.  The net is
not really that reliable and sometimes things just go wrong that are
neither under your or your subscribers control (and ISP's change mail
addresses a lot lately...)
 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]