Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:09:55 -0500
On 8/27/2004 9:04 PM, CMead wrote:
> Receiving bouced mail errors at "[log in to unmask]" address
> with the following error. It appears that mail sent
> to "[log in to unmask]" is not being properly handled.
> Anyone have any sugestions?
>
> The enclosed message has been identified as a delivery error for
> the "listname" list because it was sent to [log in to unmask]
> name.COM'.

The address [log in to unmask] is used as the envelope
sender address on messages posted to the 'listname' list hosted on
list.domain-name.com. The envelope sender address is the address to which
delivery error messages should be sent. If the list is configured with
the auto-delete feature enabled (Auto-Delete= Yes,...), LISTSERV will
attempt to process the delivery error message and take appropriate action,
based on the nature of the error and the list's auto-delete setting. If
auto-delete is set to 'No', the address which generated the error is not
subscribed to the list, or LISTSERV is unable to parse the delivery error
message, LISTSERV will forward the delivery error message to the list owner
with the explanatory text you quoted.

Check to see if the address which generated the error is subscribed to
the list. If it is, and the error is of a permanent nature, indicated by
a 500-level error code, you should probably delete the subscriber from
the list. If the error is of a transient nature, indicated by a 400-level
error code, you may want to wait and see whether you get subsequent errors
for the same subscriber. If the address is not subscribed, and the error
message includes the full headers from the list posting, review the headers
to determine whether the message was forwarded to the address which
generated the error. If so, check the list for the address to which the
message was originally sent. You may need search the subscriber list for
subscriptions with the same username, but slightly different domain name
(ex: [log in to unmask] vs [log in to unmask]), or for similar
usernames in the same domain (ex: [log in to unmask] vs [log in to unmask]).

It is possible that the message you received was not the result of a
delivery error on a message from your list server. It is possible that
the owner- address was harvested from someone's local mail archive by
a mass-mailing virus. I have also seen spam sent to owner- addresses.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator