Sylvie McGee <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:59:54 -0800
Hi, Vickie,

I read your posting with interest, since I am virtually always in way over
my head on this list, and I was so delighted to actually find a question I
could contribute an answer to! ;)

We recently added some new administrators to the Quaker lists team, and at
the same time I was trying to set up a backup account in case my primary
account crashed, and in doing so I got Eudora running on my Windows
machine. I did a *lot* of research looking for a mail program that would
provide the features you want, since I wanted the same thing. I ended up
adapting to Pine because it does the best job on the resent-from lines. We
do little editing on our list, but occasionally do some. When I need to, I
save the messages out to a folder called edit, drop into my shell, invoke
pico as my editor, and open the folder. I do all the editing at once, just
moving through the folder as if it were one large file (which in pico it
then is), close it up, and then go back into Pine and bounce the edited
messages. It actually doesn't take much time at all, and works fine.

I talked with Qualcomm at the same time, asking if they were intending to
make an add-on available to Eudora for Windows that would enable the
resent-from lines needed by listserv. They said no, the Mac add-on was
basically shareware, and if no one developed it, then they didn't intend
to pursue it. I explained the implications for managing a list, and that
this might seriously affect their market among listowners, and they were
frankly not what I would call responsive.

Well, hope the editing description is helpful to you. If you are really
committed to an off-line reader, I cannot help you, since I was unable to
find *any* that would provide the original poster's name in the from line,
rather than mine as the moderator.

Take care,

Sylvie McGee
Co-Administrator - Quaker-L/Quaker-P
University Friends' Meeting - Seattle WA