Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:52:04 -0500
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Vickie Banks wrote:
> We edit 90% of outgoing messages, as my subscribers will not sign
> them or cut down the requoted material from previous messages
> themselves.  A lot of them also use offline mailers with long
> line lengths that wrap weirdly and make their messages look terrible
> (we fix those too).  On top of it, we have high volume daily,
> so we need a fast, fairly easy mail program (other than Ricemail)
> that will generate Resent headers AND allow editing on the
> same message.

        Vicki--I'd like to suggest another approach, a variant of what I
use on WMST-L.  Set the list so that all subscribers are set to REVIEW.
That way, the messages come to you.  If the message is ok as is, you just
reply OK and the message gets sent to the list.  But if the message lacks
an appropriate signature or is filled with unedited garbage from a
the message because it (fill in the blank: lacks a signature, includes too
much quoted garbage, etc.).  Say that if they re-send a revised message,
you'll be happy to OK it.

        This takes very little time, once you've prepared the one
or two form letters you'll need.  I do this for new subscribers on WMST-L.
If they send a message that lacks an e-mail address at the end (the welcome
letter and the User's Guide stress the need for this), I'll usually send a
form letter reply.  (After a few weeks, I quietly switch new subscribers to
NOREVIEW, but you probably won't want to do so.)

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                [log in to unmask]                         *
*    U. of Md. Baltimore County                                             *
*    Baltimore, MD 21250          http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/                 *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *