"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 23:16:33 EST
On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 22:02:12 -0600 Ingrid H. Shafer said:
>Now for a *real* question (so I don't just clutter up everyone's
>Sunday night mailbox): I have a friend (and co-listowner) who insists
>on referring to our list as "this listserv."  This bothers and I
>vaguely recall this being mentioned here recently (I meant to write
>"this bothers me").  Does anyone have a good, linguistically sound
>reason for discouraging this habit?  It makes about as much sense
>to me as saying "this WordPerfect" when speaking about a document
>produced on WP.  Am I being overly sensitive?

   Well, I think it's better than "Listserv list", and better than "this
List Processor  Electronic Mailing List"  :-).  Think of it  like people
saying "Make  me a Xerox  of that"  when they mean  to say "copy  on the
Xerox" machine.  Brand specification to new heights.

   I guess  that is why  the Haloid company  changed it's name  to Xerox
... free publicity and reputation.

   Bothers me too, but I haven't lost any sleep over it :-).

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**   ListOwner: AIRLINE, NODEINFO, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List   **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **