Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:14:45 -0400
At 08:39 8/12/2005 Friday, Bill Schipper wrote:

>We are reviving a list we haven't used for a couple of years.     Is there a way to check for active / legitimate addresses of subscribers without sending out a "test" message?     I thought a probe of some kind that would return a list of addresses that return a non-delivery error message might do the trick, but adding "probe" to Renewal= only operates at subscription renewal time, not immediately.
>
>Any advice welcome.

[...]

>Suppose I set a header to:
>
>        Auto-Delete = Yes, Manual, Delay (0), Probe (0)
>
>Would this produce a list of addresses that are returning bounced messages, without actually deleting the subscriptions?
>
>I would then return the Auto-Delate setting to what it is currently, in order not to undermine how the list runs normally.

First, make sure the list definition is appropriate for the revived list.

To me, it makes much more sense to actually send out a "test" message, but not so much as "this is a test" but an explanation of what you are trying to accomplish, instructions for signing off, what to do if they can't signoff, perhaps giving instructions how their friends / colleagues / associates may join the list, when the list will be placed back into production, and mention changes in management or etiquette  / mission.

After the "test" message is sent, spend a couple of days tracking down / resolving / deleting any bounce addresses, or requests from old / new subscribers.

Peter M. Weiss Consulting
LISTSERV list design and management for over a decade