Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:08:56 -0500
Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Karen Strauss wrote:
>
>>Too bad we can't just set something in the list header that says if
>>there are more than XX lines of quoted materials prefaced by > then
>>return the message to the poster with a rejection notice explaining
>>about quoting and how it clutters a list.
>
>determine when there is quoted text?  Not all e-mail software will add ">"

Okay, not all use that character. So the feature that Karen is requesting
will only catch 90% of them. But 90% is a lot better then catching none at
all.

What I would add to Karen's suggestion is the option to add a Review
parameter. With that, instead of rejecting, it would come to the editor for
approval.

Adding such an option to the Sizelim= setting would be a very useful
addition. Now the listserv tells the poster exactly how they should chop up
the message to get it through. So you have chopped up messages, and
possibly messages that the list owner would rather not have been posted.

Don.