Dennis Gormley <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:47:15 -0500
I'm trying to implement a simple bottom_banner in my .mailtpl file. I'm
getting a bottom_banner, all right, but not with the results I intended.

I got the [listname].mailtpl file, where the relevant section said

BOTTOM_BANNER      Bottom banner for plain text postings
TOP_BANNER         Top banner for plain text postings
BOTTOM_BANNER_HTML Bottom banner for HTML postings
TOP_BANNER_HTML    Top banner for HTML postings
POSTACK1           Reply sent to anyone posting to the list (for "replybots")
WWW_LIST_HEADER    HTML header for web interface
WWW_LIST_TRAILER   HTML trailer for web interface
>>> DIST_VIRUS Virus detected in DISTRIBUTE job

etc.

So I modified it to read

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER      Bottom banner for plain text postings

TRAINING9 is a test listserv maintained by HSLC
See http://www.hslc.org for more information about us.
Mail to mailto:[log in to unmask] to leave the list

TOP_BANNER         Top banner for plain text postings
BOTTOM_BANNER_HTML Bottom banner for HTML postings
TOP_BANNER_HTML    Top banner for HTML postings
POSTACK1           Reply sent to anyone posting to the list (for "replybots")
WWW_LIST_HEADER    HTML header for web interface
WWW_LIST_TRAILER   HTML trailer for web interface
>>> DIST_VIRUS Virus detected in DISTRIBUTE job

but I get everything between the two >>> as the bottom_banner.

OK, so I put a >>> in front of top_banner.  I get the correct bottom_banner,
but I then get a top banner including everthing between >>> TOP_BANNER and >>>
DIST_VIRUS as a top_banner, which is not the desired results.

I tried putting >>> in front of each entry between >>> BOTTOM_BANNER and >>>
DIST_VIRUS but then I get the POSTACK1 response, again not the desired results.

I've tried implementing .bb and .eb as well, but I want the same banner to go
out with each message, rather than a rotating banner

I've checked the online documentation at
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html and, although I can find
examples of rotating bottom_banners, I can't find an example of a
a simple bottom_banner.  I've searched the archives at
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?S1=lstown-l as well; again, plenty
of examples of rotating banners, but for a simple banner, the general response
seems to be that they can be done, rather than how to do them. (I'm always
glad to be proven wrong!)

Thanks!

Dennis