Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:00:33 -0500
Karen Strauss wrote:

>Too bad we can't just set something in the list header that says if
>there are more than XX lines of quoted materials prefaced by > then
>return the message to the poster with a rejection notice explaining
>about quoting and how it clutters a list.

This particular discussion was hashed to death just a few weeks ago, the
basic essence of it coming down to, how does software like LISTSERV
determine when there is quoted text?  Not all e-mail software will add ">"
and some may add something quite different.  Many e-mail programs offer
their users a choice as to which character to use (if any) to indent
quoted text with.

For example, suppose I had my software configured to stick a # at the
beginning of the line instead of a >.  That would thwart the attempt by
LISTSERV to use such a mechanism.

Glenn