Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:40:56 -0600
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:39:06 -0400, Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>} Nevertheless, it might be a useful "experiment" to add the MX RR.
>
>I agree.

I do not determine our policy on this.  Those within L-Soft who do determine
this policy also read this list so they they will take action (or not) as
they deem appropriate.  While we do try very hard to adhere to standards and
best practices, etc. I am not sure that L-Soft's best role is to single-
handedly try to rescue internet email from those who would "improve" it.

Since we do a lot of 'private label' list hosting under our customer's
domain names (our ListPlex(r) service) it would be a huge administrative
hassle to maintain both A and MX records for all such FQDNs and a double
hassle when changes are needed (as they always are).  Many other email
hosting sites have exactly the same problem and are reluctant to have to
maintain both kinds of records for exactly the same reasons.

I suppose I should not comment publicly on the "wisdom" of this misguided
and anti-standard effort by Earthlink.  Any assertion by Earthlink technical
support staff that this is exclusively an L-Soft problem and not an
Earthlink problem is completely false and misleading.  Earthlink customers
should make their own decisions and let their provider know how they feel
about suddenly and without notice being unable to particpate in email lists
of long standing and legitimate purpose.   If necessary, you might even
reach a decision to "vote with your feet" and find another service provider
who is more cooperative.   YMMV.