Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:40:23 -0500
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Peter Rauch wrote:

> Douglas, You're being cryptic and piecemeal about your list's
> configuration and your exact needs.

He's told you more than you're giving him credit for.

> We now learn you are on an
> intranet; what does that mean? I.e., does that mean that only
> folks with access to your intranet have "public" access to your
> list's archive?

To the web site providing access to archive.

> Does that mean that "one idiot" is inside your
> intranet?

No. It means that the "idiot" has e-mail access to the Listserv server
itself, which I presume is connected to the Internet.  It wouldn't
make any sense for it not to be.  (Am I correct, Douglas?)

>  Who is the "general public" as distinct from the
> "public" NOTEBOOK of your list? How are they "filtered"?

They're not filtered; there's no way to do it except for a
"special purpose" firewall; that seems to be his problem.

> Why can't you simply subscribe each of the "few thousand members
> of the Judiciary" (yes, it's work validating their membership
> and ADDing them to the list, but you seem to have very stringent
> needs that might warrant such work)?

That's a good question.

That solution would probably require some continuing maintenance work
as well.  However, it's the only sure way to keep the harvesters out.

Dennis