Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 13:41:05 EST
On Mon, 15 Mar 1993 20:49:16 -0700 Gene V Glass said:

>      As a practical matter, if I decide to turn the List private, how do
> I go about it? I suppose I could change the keyword from PUBLIC to PRIVATE
> then unsub everyone after having posted an invite to all old subscribers to
> sub again if they wish to be included. When the Vandals show up to resub,
> I can thow their letter in the wastebasket.

It might be easier to just change the keyword to by_owner, and then unsub the
vandals.  That way, everyone else will not be inconvenienced.  And you want
"by_owner" and not "private" since that will forward requests for new
subscriptions to you and not just tell them no.  Also, make sure the send=
keyword is "private" so only subscribers can post.

>      What if a "newsreader" wants to sub to the PRIVATE list? Wouldn't that
> give all readers at that site the capability of posting? I don't want to go
> to an edited list since something good would be lost, I feel.

It depends upon how the mail appears from the remote site.  If it all appears
to come from the newsreader, then the answer is yes.  If it appears to be
from the individual, then the answer is no.

Harold