Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:03:48 MST
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:03:14 -0500 Ben Parker said:
>Most people know that if they move to a new address, they have to give a
>Change of Address notice to the Post Office.  What is happening here
>however is the poepl haven't moved, but the Post Office decides to rename
>their street, without telling them.  It's clear whose fault it is, we just
>don't have a good way of making them do the dirty work.

   Yup.  Though even the (US) Post Office does the same.  I moved to a new
home last September and finally have about all of my magazines, mail, etc,
coming to the new address a few miles away.  My wife and I call this the
"house we plan to die in"...not because we're planning that for a long time,
but because we don't ever plan to move again.  But last week we got a nice
notice from the USPS that our Zip Code is changing from 83705 to 83716, due
to much growth on this edge of town.  Of course you know who gets to have
all the journals, catalogs, etc, changed again....and it ain't the USPS.  o-(

>The one tool that might help the list owner would be a new command of
>"CHANGE olduserID TO newuserID" rather than the current DEL/ADD double
>command, especially if this kept the users special settings for digest,
>etc., which are otherwise lost in the ADD/DEL cycle.

Think we've gone around on that one before, but I still agree that it would be
nice, especially if the settings could be kept with it....in fact,
it would be VERY nice, Eric.

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979