Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:25:45 EDT
On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:10:04 -0500 Joe C said:
>What I would donate is a few pennyweights of
>paladium/rhodium/vanadium/platinum alloy in the form of a star to anyone at
>searn who could fins a way to keep the digests from containing all Topics.
>
>In my case we are adding translators (human) to the English version and
>will create channels or topics in German, Danish, French, Italin, as an
>infra/inter/intra -communications overlay...
>
>With digest users this means they could eventually end up wit 3-4 X the
>data in languages they do not eeven speak or want to recieve.
>All bets;

In a case like this I would suggest separate lists, and make them all
sub-lists of a super-list which would be used to post messages that all
of the users (regardless of language) should receive.  That way the
digests will contain only what you want them to contain.  This is the
most efficient way to handle your needs, and it will be immediately
obvious to the user that he has signed up for the German list, or the
French list, or ..., without a need to set an explicit topic once he
has subscribed.

I doubt seriously that we will ever implement topic-level digests as
they would be extremely inefficient.  I imagine this has been discussed
before and can be researched in the archives of this list or of LSTSRV-L.

Nathan