Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:35:25 -0500
text/plain (16 lines)
If you delete the subscriber, they will be removed from monitored status also, then you may add them back.  If you don't mind losing the historical data (their original subscribe date) this is a fairly simple tactic.  They aren't seeing the list traffic anyway, so if one or two messages happen to go through in between your delete and add, the subscriber won't know the difference.  If their mailbox remains full, the very next list message going out will put them back on monitored status.

Also, if they accomplish the cleanup of their mailbox to get below quota before the 4th day, the situation takes care of itself without any action on your part.  But they will have to access the list archive to read traffic that occurred during their mailbox-full time period.

Changing the subscriber to NOMAIL will not stop the monitor/probe process from removing them if their mailbox stays full - it just stops the delivery failures on regular list traffic.  When they are in monitored status, and delivery errors persist, a special probe message is sent each day regardless of other list activity.

You might ask your site administrator to delete the listname.AUTODEL file on the server - that will discard all monitor/probe status for your list.  But the next time a list message is distributed and a delivery error occurs, the file is created and new status begins accumulating.  I'm a site administrator and I do this for various lists now and then just (if nothing else) to stop the DEMR being sent for five more days when I know the original issue has been solved and there's no point in receiving and deleting the report five more times.

You could change the parameters of your list header Auto-delete= keyword to specify more than four days before removal occurs, and put it back to 4 later on. Or you could turn off auto-delete for a while, and turn it back on later.

Even if the auto-delete process removes the subscriber, they are not lost - you can always add them back.

>>> Pat Williams <[log in to unmask]> 01/11/08 10:25 AM >>>
I've been receiving a daily monitoring report for one of my lists, showing several subscribers' addresses that are being monitored for various delivery errors, and saying that after 4 days or 100 delivery errors, they'll be automatically deleted. But suppose I want to rescue one of those addresses from being automatically deleted? For instance, the problem in one case is "mail quota exceeded." This might happen because the subscriber has not paid attention to email over the recent holidays, but will clean out the mailbox soon. This is a subscriber I don't want to lose. How can I forestall the automatic deletion of a subscriber in a case like this?
Pat in Houston

ATOM RSS1 RSS2