Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 14:28:56 PDT
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995 14:04:30, Diane Taber-Markiewicz <ROHRINKH@SNYBUFAA> wrote:
>Anybody got ideas on this one? For several days mail to a subscriber of ICWP-L
>has been bouncing for the reason:  no such user SLNG2 at node SLEEPY or
>no such user at node GRUMPY and several of the other seven small people.
>The user is for real and has been receiving mail for months on the list, but
>the nodes are fictional and vary with each bounce.
>        Have any of you had any similar bounces?

No, but I have a reasonable explanation.

Sites often link several DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation)
machines into a "cluster".

Often, machines in a cluster have "related" names,
e.g., Winken, Blinken, and Nod.

Sometimes, administrators of that cluster apply some "electronic-paint"
to the cluster to change the "external" name of the cluster
to a name which matches none of the occupants.  For example,
the rest-of-the-world would see the label 'DWARF-RESIDENCE',
and only the users "inside" the cluster would see the individual names.

I would say that the ID 'SLNG2' is no longer valid on *any* of the machines
in the cluster.  He's gone, deceased, has ceased-to-be, he's pushing up
daisies, he is an ex-parrot.  However, he could be just resting.   :-)