Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:05:25 EST
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:24:40 -0800 Sherry Beauchamp said:
>I am one of the listowners of a number of lists which are broadcast-only.
>It appears from some bounces I received today that someone tried to spoof
>the address of one of the editors and post to one of the lists.  I don't
>want this to happen, and would like to set up a keyword or combination
>thereof which would require any editor posting to the list to submit a
>cookie, but which would *not* affect list maintenance commands such as ADD,
>DELETE, etc.  Is this possible?

Try

* Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm

Note that some of these apparent "spoofs" probably aren't.  Some mailing
programs seem to think it's cute to reflect the message back to the list
without adding any headers to indicate where it came from.  I'm forced to
this conclusion because I've seen it happen a couple of times so quickly
that it could only have been a mail program that did it...

Nathan