Thu, 2 Jun 1994 09:02:30 -0500
> I think you should possibly investigate the DNSes that control
> the name/IP and IP/name lookup for TENET.EDU.  There is some
> evidence that things are a little screwed up:
>
> One probe (using DiG) revealed that TENET.EDU has an A record of

Whoa, Pete! I'm afraid you've gone way over my head in the technical
department.  I'm just a poor listowner who is self taught (with the
aid of great folk like you) in everything related to computers and
the networks.  I kind of see what the information you sent says but
I'll have to do some studying to really understand it.

It may have something to do with the problem, but I don't think so.
Let me explain the set up on Tenet (Texas Education Network).

All incoming mail, repeat all, is received by formby (I just use the
last names (the server names, by the way, are those of distinguished
Texas teachers, some of whom have accounts on Tenet)).  There is one
particular server I'm generally assigned to (perkins), but I can get
on to any of them whenever I want. (I used to use formby, but about
a year ago the fifteen or so of us who regularly used it because it
was a lot faster than any of the others got nasty notes saying quit
or you'll lose your account. They've now changed it so we can't get
on formby nor crowley.)  It makes no difference whether I log on
to perkins, abernathy, thurman or any of the others I can get to,
I can still get my mail and have access to all my files and personal
directories.  I can also send mail from any of them and listserv
always accepts the stuff as coming from me because I've changed my
.pinerc file (for Pine) and the corresponding file for Elm to specify
that in the portions that listserv looks at the address is to be
given only as [log in to unmask]  I can write from any of the servers
and listserv still knows it is I.  It works pretty well most the time,
and I don't think it's the cause of my problem.  As I said, if I forward
the editor material, I get a distributed copy.  If I bounce it, I don't,
but everyone else on the list does.  If what you sent me has a bearing
on that, I'm afraid it is beyond my present capabilities to figure it
out.  But I am going to study it, to be sure I know that what I *think*
it is trying to tell me is correct.

Thanks for your help.  As I said, all tips appreciated.  I always like
to learn new things, even if they turn out not to have a direct bearing
on the problem at hand.  Maybe I can use them later.

For now, I'm going to change the header so our errors accout up at
UBVM is the editor (along with the list) and trudge up there with
tn3270 to take care of it.

Douglas

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner