rob woiccak <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 09:53:59 -0500
At 06:13 AM 1/12/97 -0800, Janis Roihl wrote:

>I am interested in what is happening with the person who is subscribed as
>[log in to unmask] Does the Ashton! in the address have
>a function?

yes. delimiting hostnames with exclamation points ("bangs") indicates an
explicit path for a mail message to take to its destination -- usually by
uucp (unix-to-unix copy protocol). so the above address says to send the
mail to the user WLinda on the host ASHTON by way of ASHTMELB.ATTMAIL.COM.

>I also would like to know what the following means and if it tells me
>anything about this being an individual or what.
>
>Not-Delivered-To: [log in to unmask]  due to code 11 "Transfer
>                  Failure";
>        arrived Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:40:29 +0000;
>        Supplementary-info "System ashtmelb failed to pick up your messages,
>                         we are still waiting"

does anyone know if at&t/attmail still use uucp internally? if so, this
message means that the host ashtmelb hasn't polled attmail.com to pick up
any mail/news in a long enough time to trigger this non-delivery message.

--
_O_ rob woiccak